Hi everyone,

Trunk has been absolute mayhem since 1.8, mostly in a good way. Just
to quickly review, we've merged:
- Taglib - faster scanning, better metadata handling for all formats,
thanks to RJ
- Shoutcast - shoutcast/icecast broadcasting, big thanks to Tobias for
finishing this up
- Hydra - refactored most of our DSP code into a SampleUtil class,
refactored to support for N decks (RJ again)
- Qt3 removal - removes all remaining deprecated Qt3 code, will reduce
the size of our packages (yours truly)
- HSS1394 - support for HSS1394 MIDI devices like Stanton's SCS.1
series (great work from Sean)
- SConscript rewrite - huge cleanup and refactoring by RJ, a necessity
for the build server and cross-compiling. We might even get the
CXXFLAGS right for Gentoo one day.

However, there's still a handful of other features people have worked
on or are still working on, who might want us to review and merge
before 1.9:

- ReplayGain - (Vittorio Colao)
- Library improvements - ratings, search improvements, times played
column (Tobias Rafreider and Owen Williams)
- FLAC - use libFLAC directly (Bill Good)
- Samplers - originally written by Ryan Baker (GSoC) and recently
overhauled by RJ Ryan
- ???

We'll try our best to handle as many code reviews as possible over the
next two weeks, but feel free to remind us if you think you're getting
neglected. We'll consider freeze exceptions if there's good progress
on these branches or we're waiting on fixes requested after a code
review. Sometime shortly after the freeze, we'll try to do a 1.9 beta,
and that will help put us on schedule for a 1.9 final release before
the end of the year.

Now is also a good time to start bug fixing in trunk. We need to do a
good round of valgrinding before the 1.9 release too. (Any
volunteers?)

I'm really impressed with our current pace of development and the
commitment that you've all demonstrated over the last few months.

Thanks for all your hard work,
Albert