I just thought I'd update the list on my progress working with Dmitry,
the Portaudio maintainer, on properly supporting the Audio4DJ sound card
under linux.  Right now the Audio4DJ doesn't work correctly with ALSA
but works fine with JACK.  It turns out the Audio4DJ has some strict
requirements in terms of its audio input format: it requires 24 bit Big
Endian samples, and nothing else will do.

Long story short, we are very close to solving the issue, and pretty
soon Audio4DJ (and probably the other NI cards) will be fully supported
on linux with native low-latency ALSA, no JACK required.  I had the card
at 2ms and it worked great.

cheers,
Owen Williams