On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 16:47 +0000, Mark Hills wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012, Owen Williams wrote:
> Right now the Audio4DJ doesn't work correctly with ALSA
> > but works fine with JACK.
>
> Erm... perhaps you can clarify this to avoid confusion.
>
> Possibly you mean that PortAudio tries to open the ALSA hardware device
> directly but is not capable of providing the correct sample format. In
> which case "the Audio4DJ doesn't work correctly with PortAudio" would be
> more accurate?

Ah, yes, sorry.  I meant the Audio4DJ doesn't work with Portaudio's
implementation (abstraction?) of ALSA, but it does work with Portaudio's
implementation of JACK.

> The actual sample format supported by the hardware is not an issue
> because, as intended by the ALSA design, a 'plug' will handle any
> conversion; eg. plughw:Audio4DJ,0,0

I believe I've tried every combination of .asoundrc ttables, plughw's,
etc.  Until I started working with Dmitry, Audio4DJ would crash Mixxx if
you tried to select it for audio input.

As a result of this work, portaudio should support other odd soundcards
better as well.  It's not specific to the Audio4DJ, it's exploring some
of the darker corners of the ALSA spec.

Owen