On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM, petah <mi...@djpetah.com> wrote:

> >Is there a reason to make a request/response setup rather than a broadcast
> >setup? Isn't your processing code constantly reading this data as the CD
> >spins?
>
> Yes, approx every 4 milliseconds. If I were to write a 64-byte SysEx MIDI
> message that often it'd likely overwhelm the system.

That's 16000 bytes/sec. Which is really not that much data. MIDI (i.e the
wire protocol) has a max of 31.25kbits/s but MIDI over USB usually ignores
that limitation. If you find it's an issue, you could just rate limit it on
your side.

> Since Mixxx doesn't need data that often and can only process it without
> glitches up to a certain point, as Owen pointed out, the "pull" model makes
> more sense.

Maybe you should allow Mixxx to set the update interval via a sysex
message? Currently Mixxx doesn't have a way of telling how loaded it is.
The controller processing thread runs at lower priority than the audio
processing callback so it really should not matter if the scheduler is
working correctly.

Adding the wire overhead and latency of a request every time you want data
seems silly because the time to the next request is a function of time
alone and the request carries no information.