Hello!  I've successfully produced many VideoCDs, but am having a heck
of a time with DVDs. It seems that, no matter what path I try, something
happens to screw it up.  Finally, I'm resorting to the kindness of
strangers to get some answers.  I thank you in advance for any help you
may provide, knowing full well you're under no obligation. :-)

First of all, my setup.  The computer is an Athlon XP 1800+ with an MSI
K7T266 Pro2 motherboard (i.e. a VIA KT266A chipset) and a gig of 266 MHz
DDRAM.  My DVD writer is an HP dvd200i.  I'm running Red Hat 7.3 and
mjpegtools 1.6.0.

I tried first to do all of the mastering under Linux.  As far as I can
tell, dvdauthor runs fine on my multiplexed audio/video files, and
mkisofs builds a UDF image fine (though the instructions call for a
-dvd-video switch, and that isn't recognized).  But both dvdrecord and
cdrecord-ProDVD think my DVD writer is a CD burner only, so I can't burn
a DVD.  Nero's Burning Rom (which came with my DVD writer) doesn't
appear to have any option to burn from an existing image file on disk,
either. So that path stops there.

My HP DVD writer comes with Sonic MyDVD.  I've used that to burn
non-chaptered DVDs before, and it seems to work fine.  I can't give it
multiplexed files, though: it wants to turn the soundtrack into PCM.  I
have to give it the .m2v file as produced by mpeg2enc, and the .wav file
as produced by lav2wav.  Kinda weird, but at least I can get something
to work.  But Sonic MyDVD thinks the video ends at the first
sequence-end -- kind of a bummer to only get the first chapter.  If I
give MyDVD a multiplexed audio/video file, it seems to take the entire
movie, but wants to transcode the MPEG-2 audio into PCM format, and does
so in a way that makes it too big to fit onto a DVD.  mjpegtools' mplex
doesn't allow me to multiplex a PCM audio file with an MPEG video, so
that path stops here.

The trial version of Pinnacle Expression doesn't let one do DVDs, just
VideoCDs.  Do they really think they're gonna sell a DVD mastering
program based on how well it does VideoCDs?  Seems kinda dumb.  ULead's
DVD Creator (I think that was the name) ignores the chapter points
completely, and tends to hang for long periods of time for no apparent
reason, chewing up 100% of the CPU meanwhile.  Doesn't give one a lot of
confidence.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to be doing differently here?

Here's a dumb question....I'm assuming that the
sequence-end/sequence-begin marks produced by mpeg2enc's -S option are
the same thing as chapter marks.  Is that correct?

Thank you in advance for any help.  I hope to contribute something to
this project to make your hassle worthwhile.

Along those lines, I have a question....I e-mailed y'all a patch to
yuv2lav, to allow it to add a .wav file at the same time it's converting
the video.  I just now checked CVS, and it's not in there.  Did my patch
suck?  Do I need to become an official mjpegtools developer?  Am I even
allowed to become one?  I'd like to contribute, if I can figure out how.

Also, I've modified mpeg2enc so that the -S switch takes a filename, one
containing a list of frame numbers where chapter marks (i.e.
sequence-ends) should be inserted.  The change is pretty hacky still, so
I'm not going to inflict a patch on you, but I'm wondering why this
hasn't been done already.  It seems to me that most people would want
that sort of control over where chapter marks get inserted.  No?

Steven Boswell