> OK, cool.  mplex generated one big file, and a warning that said
> "Sequence end marker found in video stream but single-segment splitting
> specified!" for every chapter mark.  I burned it to DVD, and there were
> no chapters.  I then hacked mplex so that -M wasn't automatically turned
> on by "-f 8", and burned those separate videos to one DVD; that gave me
> chapters, but there's a tiny audio hiccup between each track now.

In general: you really really want the latest mplex from CVS either stable or
developer branches for DVD.   They fix and important timing bug and a couple
of other things too.

Those "hiccups" you're seeing are the run-out/run-in that you forced by
turning off -M.   For DVD you actually need something slightly different: you
don't want any -M but at geuss you *do* want closed GOPs at chapter
boundaries.  I'll see if I can chat with the dvdauthor author to find out
what would make life easiest for him and build it into mplex.

> Pretty neat that I can burn MPEG-2 video to a DVD, and that it works in
> my player; as far as I can tell, that's not "standard", i.e. I think
> the audio is supposed to be uncompressed 48kHz PCM.

Region 1 DVD mandates LCPM or AC3 audio support with DTS and MPEG audio
optional.

Region 2 DVD mandates AC3 and MPEG audio and I can't recall about LPCM .

Goodness only knows what nonsense was specified for other regions.

Audio should be 48 or 96kHz.

> Now that I can actually see my video, I have a new problem -- although
> most of it looks wonderful, parts of it don't look all that good!
> There's quite a bit of fuzziness at the boundaries between black areas
> and light areas (i.e. I've seen it with white and pink).  It looks like
> the artifacts I see in the VideoCD that I made of the same LaserDisc,
> i.e. rather large rectangular "jaggies" along the edge.  The fuzziness
> is not in the MJPEG version, i.e. the still-frame JPEGs don't seem to
> have that problem.

This sounds like an interlacing issue.   MJPEG compreses each field totally
seperately.   Frame-encoded MPEG encodes the chroma signal of both fields
together.   Options:

1) If the original material was not interlaced make sure you field order is
correct. I.e. that fields from the same original frame are encoded in the
same frame.  yuvcorrect can correct this if the recording is not right.

2) If original material is interlaced you may want to consider either
encoding using -I 2 (field encoding mode) or using the deinterlacing features
of yuvdenoise (or a.n.other favourite deinterlacer).

3) If you can send me a short snippet which shows the problem I can probably
be more specific.

> Here's the command line that I used to generate the video:
>
> lav2yuv -v 0 -A 1:1 -P 4:3 movie.eli \
>
>  | yuvscaler -v 0 -n n -I ACTIVE_690x480+12+0 \
>  | mpeg2enc -v 0 -f 8 -b 5000 -B 305 -S frames.txt -V 224 \
>  -h -4 1 -2 1 -s -r 16 -q 4 -a 2 -F 4 -n n -o video.m2v

What on earth is that doing.   A local hack I presume...

Also, at -b 5000 '-h' is definately a mistake with analog captured material.

Andrew

> Can anyone see anything especially broken about it?  (The -B 305 was a
> typo, but I don't think it affects anything, especially since this is
> my magic hacked-up version of mpeg2enc that takes a list of frame
> numbers where sequence-ends should be put.)

Sounds useful... can you mail me the patch?

>The "-q 4" is new to me; I
> mostly produce VideoCDs.  The intention was very high quality.  I almost
> did "-q 1" but wanted to reserve that for a later experiment.  (What can
> I say, I want a perfect-looking DVD of my "Pink Floyd: live at Pompeii"
> LaserDisc, especially since I doubt that'll ever get released on DVD. :-)

-q 4 is probably set too high for -b 5000.  You're probably getting a near
constant-bit-rate encoding.

> Thanks to all for your help!  My very next step is to figure out how to
> contribute the changes I've made to mjpegtools.  I'm gonna try the
> "patches" page.

        Andrew