Could someone explain exactly when and where the NTSC setup (Y'+16)
should be added?

This much I think I know:

For NTSC DV, it is supposed to be added at the final analog output,
say at the camera when output to TV.  To get the same effect when
playing on the computer, it needs to be added digitally somewhere in
the chain, but preferably near the end.  I've also read repeatedly
that it should NOT be added before any processing, which makes sense
as it pushes Y up against the upper bound.  Despite this, from
examining output and the code, it looks as about half the software out
there adds the setup.  kino/smil2yuv (by default) and transcode do,
lav2yuv and ffmpeg don't (if I recall properly).

What I don't know:

When converting DV to mpeg2 (for DVD, say), does the setup get added
before conversion, after conversion, or never?  Does the DVD player
add the setup just like my DV camera would, or does mpeg2 expect to
have the setup built it?  yuvplay does not add the setup, but should
it (or should it be a flag)?

I'm starting to understand why everyone hates NTSC...

Dan