On Thursday 20 Mar 2003 7:16 pm, you wrote:
> man mpeg2enc says:
>
>        -f|--format 5      -    Non-standard SVCD.
>        As  for  profile  4  but  bit-rate, video buffer size, GOP
>        sizes and structure can be  set  to  non-standard  values.
>        Frame size may also be non-standard.
>
>        -f|--format 8      -    DVD MPEG-2.
>        Just a very basic implementation.
>
> It works fine to crete a vob-file from a mpeg/m2v-file, which was
> created with -f 5. So what is the difference between -f 5 and -f 8?
>
> Are there parameters which can be set with -f 5 manually and are
> created with -f 8 by default?
>
> Which GOP is used with -f 8? Is -s a default value for -f 8? I read,
> that authoring programs (Win) need -s to accept the file.

If you look for the string SVCD and DVD in the source code you'll see the
exact differences that are set!

Basically, SVCD inserts stuff needed for SVCD DVD for DVD and there are some
differences in the way system headers are constructed.   However, since its
all MPEG-2 a *well-written* MPEG-2 decoder should be able to handle both.
Software decoders can usually handle almost anything (they mostly ignore
the more-or-less redundant header infos anyway).

Alas, you typical set-top DVD/SVCD player is rarely a well-written MPEG-2
decoder.  Usually slightly flaky and only tested on  a limited range of
streams and go nuts if they hit optional headers they don't expect or similar.

        Andrew