On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, richard koppenaal wrote:

> i have some 650 mb cds so thats why i would like to learn how to split files
> at 630mb thats my reason .

As Bernhard wrote 650 MB CDs (ie 74 mins CDs) can take upto about 730 MB
of data when burned as a vcd/svcd (MODE2_FORM2 sectors).

> thanks for answering.
>
> ps i tryto read the manual and have tried several settings with %2d without
> etc , so thats the reason why iam now asking here , hope that somebody could
> help me out ..

To paraphrase what Bernhard already wrote:

'mpeg2enc -f4 ..' inserts a sequence split marker at 700 MB or so, and
mplex splits the sequence at that point. If you really want to change the
sequence length to, say, 650 MB you need to specify -S 650 to mpeg2enc,
not mplex. If you are using a non-standard audio rate you may also need to
specify the -B option (see man mpeg2enc).  Splitting the multiplexed
stream using -S option to mplex is not recommended for vcd/svcd streams
(see man mplex). In any case if you specify -S <num> to mplex it will
split the stream at sequence split marks inserted by mpeg2enc as well as
at the specified <num> megabytes and that explains the lengths of the 3
files you got.

The whole thing could be a bit confusing for the uninitiated, so I
strongly recommend you to read the mjpeg-HOWTO. Its a very educative
document.

Selva