Hi -

> From: Selva Nair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> As the source is progressive ppm frames, better keep it that way.
> Use -F 24000:1001 and encode with pull down flag:

        Well, as it turns out it seems that the encoder is "doing the right
        thing" for me (despite my being confused ;)).

        I remembered I had a copy of 'dvdview' installed and using that I can
        see that mpeg2enc is generating 'top field first' :

PictureHeader:
  temporal reference:    3
  picture_coding_type:   B
  vbv_delay:             65535
  fullpel forward mv:    false
  fullpel backward mv:   false
  fcode[0][0] (fw/h):    3
  fcode[0][1] (fw/v):    2
  fcode[1][0] (bw/h):    4
  fcode[1][1] (bw/v):    3
  intra dc precision:    9
  picture structure:     frame picture
  top field first:       true
  frame pred frame dct:  false
  concealment mvs:       false
  q-scale type:          1
  intra vlc format:      1
  alternate scan:        true
  repeat first field:    false
  chroma420type(obsolet):0
  progressive frame:     false

        This does raise the (idle) question of how would one create
        a MPEG-2 progressive encoded movie?   HD-TV can use 1280x768
        progressive as one of its resolutions.

> I would use -S 420_mpeg2 at the ppmtoy4m stage instead of
> resampling by y4mscaler as above.

        Why?  I have to rescale from 720x540 to 720x480 which means going
        thru y4mscaler.  Seemed logical to have it do the chroma conversion
        at the same time.