I believe i'm experiencing the "juddering" bug:

https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=3456&group_id=5776#ss3.4

However, my situation doesn't seem to fit into what's described in the
HOWTO.

I use a NTSC DV camcorder as a source, and convert the DV .avi into
DVD-compatible MPEG2 using mpeg2enc as the last step. Then i author the
DVD, burn it...
Apparently the DVD is fine, i can play it with software players with no
problems whatsoever. But if i play it in a standalone player to a TV, i
experience "juddering", the moving objects are doubled and flickering
fast.

Here are the initial AVI and the resulting MPEG2 that was used to author
the DVD:

http://florin.myip.org/debug/

On the DV .avi file i applied the method indicated in the HOWTO to
analyse the fields order.
It seems like it's a "bottom first" video stream (see image0 and
image1), but otherwise it's ok. I checked it out for the next thousand
of frames or so, the order of the fields is fine, there's no back and
forth movement, it's all smooth and as it should be.

However, i don't know how to analyse the MPEG2 file. I cannot apply the
method from the HOWTO, because the intermediary YUV stream is not
generated through mjpegtools; mpeg2enc (which was used to encode the
MPEG2) is only the last step in a chain where the previous steps were
accomplished by a different set of tools.
Is there a way to extract the fields from the .m2v file?

In theory, i could re-create the DVD with different -z parameters in
mpeg2enc, but:
- the encoding time is enormous
- i'd rather not waste DVD-R's, and i'm not sure if i can test with
DVD-RW (not sure if the players will recognize the format)

Suggestions?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/