On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 07:57:14PM -0700, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Richard Ellis wrote:
>
> > is driven by Q (in that section at least) was reworked quite a bit in
> > January.  That would account for the difference I'm seeing in the new
> > mpeg2enc's Q that does not seem to be having much effect at times.
>
> At least not with the default value of -X (100).   I think
> experimenting with -X could make -Q have more effect.

Increasing -X a little (200 vs. 100) does seem to make -Q have a bit
more effect, if the fact that the quant=xx.xx value bounces around
much more during encoding is partially caused by -Q.

> > >   Perhaps -N <num> (num =0.0 to 2.0) would work as well.  In
> > >   1.6.1
>
> > That is a good suggestion, thanks.  The new adjustable -N value
> > should be able to accomplish much the same level of "fine tuning"
>
> That's what I've been using it for.   The higher the value the
> smaller the file (because the high frequency quantizers are raised
> - high -N values will lose detail).  -N 0.5 is very mild, 1.0 I've
> found to be a good middle point for preserving detail but still
> saving bits.

The -N parameter does work quite well for shrinking a file, but it
seems it's a bit sensitive.  In a test run, with -N 0.0 I got a file
size of 748,032 kbyte.  With -N of 0.1 I got 708,956 kbyte on the
same input.  The 40meg loss did drop it right into my target size
window, so it worked for that, but I was expecting less drop from
only 0.1.

> So far I've settled on '-K kvcd' as producing very good pictures
> (the dark scenes look better than before) but perhaps the tmpegenc
> tables might, on some material look better.

I did try the kvcd matrices on a couple tests, and they did seem to
produce very good images with a low bit rate as well.  But upon close
inspection of the TV output, it also seemed like I could see some
edge ringing on sharp contrast changes.