On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:36:55PM -0700, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> 640x480?  Thought fullframe NTSC was 704x480 - or is the DC10 using
> square pixels instead of the Rec.601 10:11 pixels?  DV's weird - it
> gets an extra 8 pixels on each side for 720x480.

The video digitizer chip that's used on the DC10+ card does square
pixel, 640x480 max resolution capture for NTSC input signals.  That's
as high as it will go.

> > results in a sustained average of 7.5MB/s of data being written
> > to disk.  I only see data rates in the sub 3.5MB/s range for
> > 320x480 frames, with a driver quality factor of 50, which gives
> > about 2.5MB/s.
> >
> Ah, that's what I was curious about - thanks for the info!
>
> I was under the impression that the MJPEG cards had similar data
> rates/compression as DV did - and that's only 25Mb/s (~3.5MB/s) for
> full quality (no choice in the matter ;)).

Nah, the MJPEG cards eat far more bandwidth for the same apparent
quality level.  From what I've read on the web, DV's encoding
algorithm is better tuned/designed to handle the oddnesses of video
capture, and so it achieves a lower data rate for the same quality
level.