> Its a multiplexer / authoring issue.
>
> You need to:
> a) Extend the multiplexer so it can correctly chunk the SVCD subtitle
> streams (not hard actually) for muxing.

This is a mplex issue, right ? I had a quick look at the mplex code. It seems
Do I just have to create a SubtitleStream class that inherits from
ElementaryStream ? I'm glad it seems to be "not hard actually", because the
subclasses of ElementaryStream are quite complicated in mplex.

> b) Find some way of telling the multiplexer *when* each subtitle image
> should be muxed.

Multiplexor::Multiplex searches for "the ready-to-mux stream with the most
urgent DTS". It looks like the ElementaryStream subclasses carry all the
needed information to tell when a packet should be muxed. Is that right ?

Multiplexor::Multiplex only uses ElementaryStream::RequiredDTS and
ElementaryStream::MuxPossible to find the next stream to multiplex. Do I just
have to reimplement ElementaryStream::MuxPossible (RequiredDTS is not
virtual) ?

> c) Find some way of generating subtitles and/or translating them from DVD
> to SVCD.

Yes, I obviously need a subtitle stream. I'll have a look at that, but it
shouldn't be too difficult. It is quite easy to extract the raw DVD
subtitles, and it shouldn't be too difficult to convert them to the SVCD
subtitle format.

On the other hand, generating a subtitle stream from text would be more
difficult, as different issues like fonts, color, size and placement have to
be solved. That's a complete project in itself, and I'm not too interested in
that right now (my first goal is to get mplex to handle SVCD, DVD and maybe
CC subtitle streams correctly). It might be a good idea to have a look at all
the subtitle-related open-source codes (decoding in mplayer and xine,
extraction and conversion in transcode, ...), and create a subtitle converter
that would handle most of the commonly used formats.

I'm not very familiar with the different subtitle formats used by SVCDs and
DVDs (SVCD, DVD and CC, are there other ones ?), so any information is
welcome.

Any help with the mplex code will also be very appreciated.

Laurent Pinchart