> > AFAIK CC subtitles are common on DVDs ?
>
> I don't think so. AFAIK these CC stuff is common in ntsc land only
> and not in common use on DVD.
>
> Refer to 1.45 of dvd-faq (http://www.dvddemystified.com):
>
> ---cut---
> Closed Captions on DVDs are carried in a special data channel of the
> MPEG-2 video stream and are automatically sent to the TV. You can't
> turn them on or off from the DVD player.
> ---cut---

For those who are not familiar with CC (it's not often that I can share some
of my knowledge about tv and video, as I don't know much, so forgive me if
you already know this :-), here's a brief explanation.

CC, or Closed Captions, is a way to carry textual information in an analog
signal. The information is transmitted during vertical blanking, and is
mostly used for teletext.

CC subtitles use the same mechanism as teletext subtitles in analog TV. The
DVD player usually don't let you turn them off and send them to the TV during
vertical blanking. The TV decodes the CC data as teletext, and you have to
turn them on (usually by going to teletext page 888) to see them.

> You I could switch of all subs I saw on DVD up to now.

If I'm not mistaking, TV sets only show CC subtitles if you ask for them, so
you probably didn't even know that there were subtitles in the first place.

> You can use the vobsub tools to get the subtitles from the dvd.
> There is:
>
> http://thegoods.ath.cx/~hmason/vobtosub-0.2.2.tar.bz2
>
> I am not familiar with :(

Thanks for the link. There are many programs called 'VobSub' online, and I
didn't know there was an open-source one. I'll have a look at it.

> The option I used are the sutitle2... programs from the
> transcodeSource/contrib/subrip dir.
>
> These are based on mplayer code (mencoder can rip subs, too) but I
> had problems to get it work with forced subtitles (IMHO the part you
> are basicly interessted in when making dvd backups), see:
>
> http://www.doom9.org/forcedsubs.htm
>
> When youn are lucky these forced subs are in a separate stream on
> the disc or sometimes (intro of StarWars) different angles are used
> to localize.
>
> However, some DVDs just flag some subtitles as shown on the domm9
> page.
>
> Mplayer and subtile2... were lacking in recognising such flags.
>
> Therefore I contacted the author Arne Driescher and he send a patch
> to the mplayer team, so it is at least in mplayers current cvs (use
> F to tongle). At my end it works.
>
> At the moment AFAIK tools are missing in linux that can rip only the
> forced subs. However, as Arne promised to enclose the code within
> one of the next release of his tools it will probably available,
> soon.

Ok. I didn't know about forced subtitles. It shouldn't be an issue for
multiplexing, but is definitely something you want to take care of when
generating subtitles or ripping them.

> There were some discussions on dvdauthor ML concerning subs, too. As
> I understood them subs will be used for more issues in future e.g.
> for menu creation. In spite this will not change the problem with
> svcd subs, I just think it may be an task of the authoring program
> to insert subs, isn't it?

I'll have a look at dvdauthor too. I just found out that it includes a program
called submux that creates DVD, CVD and SVCD streams from a '.sub' file, and
multiplexes them with an mpeg file. Seems it's exactly what I need.

I think that the multiplexing part should be included in mplex, and the SVCD,
CVD and DVD subtitles generation should be handled by an external tool
(subenc or something similar ?)

Laurent Pinchart