On Tuesday 14 October 2003 19.20, you wrote:
> > > I'm a bit unsoure if the value is correct with only zeros.
> > >
> > > If it works, I'll commit it to the CVS, but I think it will be a
> > > optional feature. You can enable it with a command line option to
> > > create silence instead of stopping.
> >
> > Yes, this is probably the way to go. I am a little bit unsure but I would
> > expect that at least two sampling rates (44.1 and 48) should be provided.
> > Is there any way to deduce this automatically if at least one of the
> > input files contains sound?
>
> That is hard to detect. what kind of framerate the other files have. But
> I guess if you have 2 differnet sample rates it also fails :-/
>
> The patch I made is a dirty hack, which only works with a PAL framerate
> I fear. Currently I think, by default lav2way should still fail but with
> a more suitable error message. That erros message points to the option
> where you can specify the samplerate, mono/stereo/audio-bitsize just
> like in lavrec.
>
> Would that be a solution ?

Sure it is.
If I dream, I have more advanced ideas. The splitting of the sound is usually
the last step before preparing the final movie. It is therefore this place
where the final sound characteristics (sample rate etc.) are known depending
on the intended format (DVD, SVCD etc). Therefore, an ideal lav2wav would do:
- if the sound properties of a take are those which are finally needed: copy.
- if the sound characteristics are different: resample.
- if there is no sound: insert silence.
But this is probably a new program, isn't it.

A have also another problem: After cutting the pictures I usually need to cut
and enhance the sound track, too. I am using external tools for it. The
synchronization demands a lot of computing by hand (frame number <-> sound
sample). Does somebody know about a tool for that?

Thank you,

Michael

> auf hoffentlich bald,
>
> Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

|  Michael Hanke                Royal Institute of Technology   |
|                               NADA                            |
|                               S-10044 Stockholm               |
|                               Sweden                          |
|  Visiting address:            Lindstedtsvaegen 3              |
|  Phone:                       + (46) (8) 790 6278             |
|  Fax:                         + (46) (8) 790 0930             |
|  Email:                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        |
|                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]|