On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Richard Ellis wrote:

> If you'd still like a piece of the capture, I'll gladly push some
> stuff your way.  But, in further experimenting tonight I think I've

        sure - go ahead and push it to the location I mentioned.

> found the culprit.  If I drop the -Q 4.0 parameter, then rc92 stops
> producing the splotches.  It looks like rc92 has a different effect

        Ah ha - but it's puzzling that it didn't happen for me (I feel
        deprived ;)).   Must have a data dependency element.

        4.0 is a high setting - perhaps you could try 1.0 - and when I
        inquired about -Q there was mention of possible artifacting.

> (and a bad one at that) with the -Q parameter than what rc90 had with
> the -Q parameter.

        Does it do that on _all_ encodings?   From what you mention it was
        not constant thru out a movie but came and went - that sounds like
        a data dependent triggered problem (could be a bug too ;))