On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Slepp Lukwai wrote:

> faster to begin with. However, in both cases, after multiple tests and
> trying different things, I can't get the SMP modes to be fast at all. In
> fact, they're slower than the non-SMP modes.

        I think I see what you're doing that could cause that.   I've never
        seen the problem - using "-M 2" is not going to be 2x as fast though
        if that was the expectation.   ~40% speedup or so is what I see
        (from about 10fps to 14fps) typically.

> When encoding with the -M 0 with .92, I get around 19fps. When I use -M

        That's full sized (720x480) is it?   Sounds more like a SVCD
        or perhaps "1/2 D1" (bit of a misnomer - D1 is actually a digital
        video tape deck) at 352x480.    At 1/2 size yes, around 20fps or a bit
        more I've seen.   But I'm usually tossing in a bit of filtering so
        the process is a slower.

> I installed 'buffer', set it up with a 32MB buffer and put it in the

        10MB is about all I use - it's just a cushion to prevent the encoder
        from having to wait (-M 1 is the default - there's I/O readahead
        going on) for input.

> Has anyone found a way around this, or is it time to look at the source
> and see what's up?

> And for reference, it's a dual Athlon MP 2100+, which is below the
> '2600' that the Howto references as fast.

        I'm using dual 2800s and around 14-15fps for DVD encoding is what I
        usually get.

> The actual command line is:
> mpeg2enc -v 0 -I 0 -f 8 -b 9800 -F 1 -n n -p -a 3 -o test.m2v -S 9999 -M
> 3 -4 2 -2 1 -r 32 -q 5 -Q 3.0 -K kvcd

        You have progressive non-interlaced source?   If not then "-I 0" is
        not the right option.

        The speed up from multiple processors comes, I believe (but if I'm
        wrong I'm sure someone will tactfully point that out ;)) the speedup
        comes from the motion estimation of the 2 fields/frame being done in
        parallel.

        Try "-I 1" (or just leave out the '-I" and let it default.

        Oh, and there's no real benefit from going above -M 2.   I had a 4
        cpu box and tried "-M 4" and saw no gain over -M 3 (which in turn
        was a very minimal increase over -M 2).

        If you want to speed things up by a good percentage try encoding
        without B frames.   Those are computationally a lot more expensive
        than I or P frames.   "-R 0" will disable B frames.

        And do you realize that increasing the search radius (-r) slows
        things down?    Leave the -r value defaulted to 16 and you should
        see encoding speed up.

        All in all - the defaults are fairly sane so if you're not certain
        about an option, well, let it default.

        And drop the -Q unless you want artifacting - especially values over 2.
        Under some conditions (it's partly material dependent) the -Q can
        generate really obnoxious color blocks and similar artifacts.    Much
        better results (especially with clean source material) can be obtained
        with "-E -8" or perhaps "-E -10".

> Of course the -M 3 changes to 2 and 0 in testing. I also tested it with
> and without the buffer program in the list. Another notable thing, is
> that with the newest version .92, -M3 causes three 33% usage processes

        Right, with -I 0 the cpus take turns but there's little parallelism.

> to exist (leaving an entire CPU idle), while M2 causes two 60% processes
> to exist. With .90, -Mx causes 2 50-70% processes and the rest never do

        Hmmm, I see 100% use on the two 2800s - but some of that would be
        the DV decoding and pipe overhead of course.

        First thing I'd try is lowering -r to 24 at most or just defaulting it.