On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 21:08, Richard Ellis wrote:
> What program are you using to monitor CPU usage while mpeg2enc runs?
> Some versions of top (if you are using top) report percentages as a
> roll-up of the whole SMP machine, so that 3x33% usage really means
> 99% utilization of the machine, where "the machine" means both
> processors combined.  Other versions report a per-cpu percentage
> instead of rolling everything together.

I hate the combined ratings, so I already setup top to report per CPU
usage, so I can see 200% usage instead of it showing 50% as 100% on one
CPU (it's misleading when you deal with single CPUs almost all day for
work).

> Additionally, why kind of memory do you have attached to the cpu's?
> Mpeg encoding is very memory bandwidth hungry to begin with, and with
> two cpu's trying to eat at the same trough, a not quite as fast as it
> should be memory subsystem can produce results like what you are
> seeing.  It's because with the two cpu's trying to run mpeg2enc, they
> together oversaturate the memory bus, causing both to wait.  But with
> only one mpeg2enc thread running, the entire memory bus bandwidth is
> available to that one cpu alone.

I've noticed. I never saw really how much memory it used unti I used the
buffer program with -t. It was moving gigs of data for a short period of
frames (perhaps 10,000 frames). It's a dual Athlon, which inherently
means 266FSB (DDR 266), though the memory is actually Hynix PC3200 w/
timings set as low as they go on this board (2-2-2), which gives me
about 550MB/s memory bandwidth according to memtest, with a 13GB/s L1
and something like 6 or 8GB/s L2. The cache size is 256k/CPU, 64k L1.

At 550MB/s, it SHOULD be able to push enough to keep the frames encoding
at 100% CPU, in theory. I don't think there's enough overhead on this
machine to qualify as keeping it even half saturated. This is why I want
the Corsair XMS Pro memory with load meters on them. (Per bank load
meters, even).

> FWIW, when my desktop machine was a dual PII-400Mhz box, I almost
> always had two mpeg2enc threads eating up 97-98%cpu on both PII
> chips.  The few times both cpu's were not fully saturated at mpeg
> encoding was when I'd bother them with something silly like browsing
> the web with mozilla. :)

Now that's just silly. Why would you hurt the CPUs by running such bloat
as Mozilla? I can't think of how many times Mozilla has gone nuts on me
and used 100% CPU without reason, and you can't kill it any normal UI
way.. Good ol' killall. However, I love it. It's a great browser. Just
rather hungry at times. I suppose there's a reason the logo is a
dinosaur. :>