Okay, since I didn't have my original material anymore and re-encoding
the VCD is not really an option, I used a sledgehammer solution.

I created an a couple of frames long, black video sequence and put it at
the beginning of each video file.
mplex then recognizes it as video stream and although it gives a couple
of complaints, it continues muxing.

This works for mplex (most of the times) and my players (most of the
times).
It is dirty, it is bad, but it is better than a VCD encoded twice.

--
Lehmeier Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>