On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Al Bogner wrote:

> So, if size doesn't matter is it _always_ better to use tmpgenc, also
> with _bad_ sources?

        Well, if size doesn't matter you can use '-K hi-res' :-)

        What I use for high quality encoding is a custom table made up of
        the hi-res Intra matrix with the tmpgenc nonIntra matrix and then
        -K file=myfile

> I mean, when I encode an old VHS-movie with poor quality, could the
> result be _better_ with kvcd or does kvcd save space only?

        kvcd's claims to fame are 1) smaller filesizes (lower bitrate) and 2)
        reduced splotchiness (pixelization I think is the term used) during
        dark scenes.   The kvcd folks never made any claims about increased
        quality.

        For old VHS movies that have been run thru yuvdenoise and/or the
        medianfilter the use of kvcd tables won't really hurt the picture too
        much more.  A good reason to use the kvcd tables in this situation
        would be to reduce the blocks/splotches during dark scenes.

        Experimentation is an important part of the process - try it and see
        what happens.