On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:22:13PM +0200, Torsten Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'd like to build a VDR based on my DC10 card.
>
> But that card has no tuner, so the idea is to
> either:
>
> - add an external tuner that selects the program to record.
>   Can anybody recommend an external tuner?

Any VCR with composite/svideo level outputs.  But now your problem
changes from "what tuner do I attach" to "how to I tune the tuner".
:) One possible solution to that is the RedRat IR control box
(http://www.redrat.co.uk/start.htm).

> - use my BT878 based card with tuner to select the program and
>   somehow transfer the captured pic into the memory of the DC10 and
>   do the compression there. Is this possible?
>
> Has anybody got another idea on how to build a VDR based on that
> DC10 and the MJPEG tools for Linux?

VCR + RedRat + some programming, and you'll have a VDR.

However, you omitted option #3:

Get a Hauppage WinTV-PVR250/PVR350 card, and you not only have an
on-board tuner, but hardware compression straight to MPEG all on one
little PCI card (linux drivers at http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/).