I have a standalone DVD player that's quite sensitive to non-standard
MPEG2 streams. I know a stream goes above the maximum bitrate when my
player starts skipping every other frame (so all movies look like really
old Charlie Chaplin movies).

I used to set the bitrate for mpeg2enc at 8500 and all was fine. But
since i started to use mjpegtools-1.6.2, i keep on getting DVDs that,
even at 8500, trigger the problem with the player. This never happened
with previous versions (i think i used all the beta releases).

I'll probably start encoding at 8000 kbps, but to me it looks like the
rate control got worse in 1.6.2

The source is always an amateur-grade DV camcorder.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/