I am trying to use sox to increase the amplitude of audio stream in an
mjpeg file, but before doing so, i am using sox's "stat" to determine
the max. amplitude without clippping.

So my command line is:

$ lav2wav file.eli | sox -t wav - -t wav /dev/null stat -v

but both lav2wav and sox both use up negligible CPU in doing this job,
and it takes far too long.  lav2wav's CPU usage is about 2% and sox's
CPU usage is about 4.5%.  Seems like there is a bottleneck somewhere but
where I am not sure.  I have tried putting a "buffer" between them but
no help.

I am using mjpeg-tools version 1.6.1.90 and sox version 12.17.4.

Any ideas?

b.