On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Ray Cole wrote:

        Took a while to reformat the 2KB line into something readable... ;)

> I had this issue with my bt card.  The video tape looked just fine on TV,
> but when I captured it would studder - it was duplicating frames, sometimes
> just a single field (which was really weird).  The bttv module has a
> 'vcr_hack' option that eliminated this problem.  I don't know if something
> similar is going on with the lml33 or not.  The issue as I recall is the
> signal is a bit distorted.  A TV can compensate for it.  The capture card
> tries, but by the time it realizes it didn't get the sync signal it is ...

> d me to record a number of video tapes flawlessly that previously were very
> problematic to record.

        Sounds like what you need is either a TBC or one of those "image
        stabilizer" units.   Yes, I had similar issues with the Bt8x8 card
        a few years ago - some of the more warn/junkier tapes caused the
        card to "lose it".  Even when it didn't lose it the constant jitter
        caused the mpeg encoding to see the constant motion and waste a lot
        of bits encoding the "motion".

        My solution then was to get the Sima SCC (not sure if that model is
        made now that the SCC-2 is out) and put it inline between the VCR
        and the capture device.  Did absolute wonders to stabilize the picture,
        and on some of the really bad/faded tapes the color correction
        capability was quite useful - could boost the chroma, adjust the
        contrast, sharpness, hue, etc.   As a pleasant side effect it also
        strips out the Macrovision copy junk which can also confuse capture
        cards.

        The Sima SCC-2 (and other similar devices can be found at) are made
        by Sima Corp:

                        http://www.simacorp.com/

        The units are sold at a number of places online (BH Photo for example).

        An inexpensive  single channel TBC runs about $280 or so and a dual
        channel one (for genlocking two devices) about $450 - i think (the
        catalog is at the other end of the house and I'm lazy at the moment ;)).

        Good Luck!