Hi,

I'm trying to author lots of slides to a still-show (not a slideshow!) on DVD.
So I need to convert my slides to mpeg stills. I tried several different parameters
for mpeg2enc and came up with something like the
following:
F:\dvdauthor/jpeg2yuv.exe -n 1 -f 25 -I p -j flower.jpg > flower.yuv
F:\dvdauthor/mpeg2enc.exe -q 4 -n p -a 2 -f 8 -I 0 -4 1 -2 1 -D 10 -h -F 3 -o
flower.m2v < flower.yuv

Now, the result generated by mpeg2enc has a few quality issues when compared to the
result obtained with a commercial DVD authoring
packet, but I really would like to switch to mpeg2enc and dvdauthor instead of that
commercial program.

The following two links demonstrate the issue:
http://www.nuonsoft.com/temp/flower_mpeg2enc.jpg
http://www.nuonsoft.com/temp/flower2.jpg
(The above are captures of the resulting M2V file. These captures were saved as jpg
with the lowest possible compression rate to
prevent jpeg artifacts.)

The first link is the result generated with mpeg2enc with the above command line.
The second link is the result with the commercial encoder.
You clearly see a lot more noise around the flower in the center. Also the green
leaves on the left and bottom of the picture aren't
as crips with mpeg2enc as with the commercial encoder. They are a bit more blocky with
mpeg2enc. In some of my slides there is an
even greater difference between the two encoders.

Is there anything I can do with mpeg2enc (other parameters or something) to get the
same quality?

Note: the resulting m2v file generated by mpeg2enc is 57 KB for the above image, while
the m2v file generated by the other encoder
is 173 KB.

Regards,
Marc

--