On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Marc Gregoire wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to author lots of slides to a still-show (not a slideshow!) on DVD.
> So I need to convert my slides to mpeg stills. I tried several different parameters
> for mpeg2enc and came up with something like the
> following:
> F:\dvdauthor/jpeg2yuv.exe -n 1 -f 25 -I p -j flower.jpg > flower.yuv
> F:\dvdauthor/mpeg2enc.exe -q 4 -n p -a 2 -f 8 -I 0 -4 1 -2 1 -D 10 -h -F 3 -o
> flower.m2v < flower.yuv

> Is there anything I can do with mpeg2enc (other parameters or something) to get the
> same quality?

> Note: the resulting m2v file generated by mpeg2enc is 57 KB for the above
> image, while the m2v file generated by the other encoder is 173 KB.

        Right there is the big clue as to why the quality is different.  The
        other encoder is using about 3x the bitrate.  Naturally with that
        kind of disparity one would expect to visual differences ;)

        Try using -q 3 or perhaps -q 2 with mpeg2enc.   I'm not sure if -q 1
        is "stable", but you might try it and see what happens.