>  On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Richard Ellis wrote:

>> Quite true, assuming of course that one is duping vhs tapes off to
>> DVD.

>        Which was one of the items mentioned - that"s why I brought up
>        the issue of being able to manipulate the data before encoding.

>> But, the posters implied usage is PVR, which implies record /
>> watch / throwaway (most of the time) functionality.  And for that,

>        For that you could simply playback the DV file - 25Mb/s gives real
>        good quality and when you"re done just "rm" the file :)

I have been playing around with the concept in this thread. ie capture via firewire,
play dv, rm dv or transcode to smaller codec for storage. Mainly just to record shows
from TV.
I've been experimenting trying to play DV with mplayer and a dv captured using dvgrab
from a dv camera.
mplayer reports "system too slow to play" as well as "badly interleaved file" type
messages on a 700mHz Celeron, 256MB RAM.
Is this machine really under spec for playing DV ?
What would be typical specs required to play DV ?
Maybee the files generated by dvgrab are not right for mplayer ?