Derek Fountain wrote:
I have to capture and encode a few (like 5) minutes of video and distribute it to fairly clueless consumers. Most consumers would be running flavours of Windows, maybe a few with Mac or *NIX desktops. Distribution will be via CD, possibly LAN in some cases. The video will not contain any fast movement and will be played on the user's computers. Transfer anywhere else is not required.

I wondered which of the formats the MJPEG tools support would be best for this? I thought MPG1, which I figured a standard desktop of just about any flavour could play. Would that be right? Are there other formats which MJPEG tools can produce which an out-of-box Windows or Mac desktop can play?

If file size doesnt matter, use MPEG1, but keep audio to simple MPEG 1 Layer II ( MP2 ) at sampling rate 44100 Hz and bitrate 192 - 228 kbps.

If file size DOES matter, your only chance is to concentrate on Windows users, and to use WMV9 ( Windows Media Video ) packed in an AVI container, and with MP3 audio. These files will play fine on any box with Windows XP or Windows Mediaplayer Ver. 7+ installed, and the size will be roughly about half of the MPEG1 for the same quality. Of course, your chances are low that these could be played on Linux ( only mplayer and Xine AFAIK ) or Mac OSX ( wont play at all ).

Any other option, like using an XviD encoded AVI/MP4/MKV requires installation of a player or at least a decoder filter. Videolan player VLC ( http://videolan.org ) is a nice, stable and self contained player, and available for all 3 OS listed above. It will play all sorts of MPEG4 AVIs and MP4 just fine, and out of the box.

ChristianHJW
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org