On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Selva Nair wrote:

> Agreed, if its sampling at 14.75Mhz no scaling is needed, only a 1
> pixel padding.

        Oops - slight misunderstanding there.  For PAL if it was sampling at
        13.5MHz there would be no need for scaling because the card would be
        giving 704 samples/line.  At 14.5MHz it is giving 768.  In analog to
        digital conversion fractional and odd sample counts get rounded up to an
        easier to implement (in hardware) multiple of 8 - thus the 702.xxx
        gets bumped up to 704.

        Perhaps a little arithmetic will clear things up (and besides, I
        feel like improving my typing skills ;)).

        PAL
        ---
        Square pixel sampling freq: 14.75 MHz
        Rectangular (Rec.601) sampling freq: 13.5 MHz

        NTSC
        ----
        Square pixel sampling freq: 12 + 3/11 MHz
        Rectangular (Rec.601) sampling freq: 13.5 MHz

        Notice anything interesting?  The rectangular rates are the same.

        You can look those numbers up in any broadcast TV reference.

        From those numbers the ratio of the rectangular/square pixels is
        derived.  I'll omit the reduction of common factors - I assume we've
        all have basic math skills :-)

        Thus, for PAL

        square / rect = (14 + 3/4) / (13 + 1/2 ) =  59/54 EXACTLY

        And for NTSC

        square / rect = (12 + 3/11) / (13 + 1/2) = 10/11 EXACTLY

        Q.E.D.

        So, to convert from square to rectangular sampling you use y4mscaler
        with "-O sar=PAL" or "-O sar=NTSC" which mean "-O sar=59:54" and
        "-O sar=10:11" respectively.

        All more clear now? ;)

> >       Even though I switched to the DV capture method quite some time ago
> >       I still use y4mscaler a lot when converting HDTV to widescreen DVD
>
> Oh, HDTV.. well, so its getting harder and harder to avoid scaling, eh?

        Yep - 1920x1080i over the air.  I use a Samsung T-165 receiver which has
        a couple IEEE1394 ports on it.  Attach it to my Powerbook and run a
        "Virtual D-VHS" program available (free) from Apple and capture the
        transport streams.  Takes a minimum of a 2GHz G5 to play back a ~14Mb/s
        stream so I usually grind the data thru a decode|scale|encode cycle.

        Oh, in the US (not sure about Canada and other neighboring NTSC
        countries) there's the 'broadcast flag' that the FCC is imposing
        (greed/pressure from the MPAA and so on).  After July 5 2005 you won't
        be able to buy HDTV receivers without copy protection !&$*(@# stuff.
        Existing equipment's being 'grandfathered in' so hardware you buy today
        that doesn't honor the broadcast flag will still work.  Thus if you're
        ever going to be interested in HDTV reception on a computer running
        other than windoze you may want to get the equipment now while the
        getting is good.

        http://www.pchdtv.com is a PCI card (that I'm thinking of getting before
        it's too late).  Linux Journal has mentioned that in 2005 they'll be
        covering projects that require "pre-ban" cards...