On Thursday 26 Aug 2004 20:52, Selva Nair wrote:
> For basic dvd you only need to do

<snip>

> That will layout the dvd file structure in
> the directory ./my-dvd/ Make sure that ./my-dvd
> is either empty or does not exist: dvdauthor keeps
> appending titles to the destination directory,
> so it is important to start from a clean state.

As useful skeleton, saved for future use, thanks.

> Check the authoring using xine (version 0.9.2x if possible :)
>
> $ xine dvd:/$PWD/my-dvd/
> (the trailing / is important)

Despite the fact that xine could not play the .mpg properly it had no problems
at all with this.

> Make an raw disk image using mkisofs
>
> $ mkisofs -dvd-video -o my-dvd.raw ./my-dvd
>
> ( - you need a recent version of mkisofs for -dvd-video support
>     version >= 2.0 ?
>   - you can combine this step with the burning step below to save
>     disk space and typing, but for the first try its better to
>     make the raw image and then burn. )
>
> Burn my-dvd.raw to a dvd+/-rw disk using dvd+rw tools
> or dvdrecord/cdrecord as appropriate for your dvd drive.

Sadly my dvd-rw disks are -R - and they are not read by my player, so I had to
burn a full DVD+R to prove the point.

> For +RW (recent versions of growisofs are supposed to with -RW too,
> I haven't tried)
>
> $ dvd+rw-format /dev/scd0
>
> $ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/scd0=my-dvd.raw
>
> ( - replace /dev/scd0 by the appropriate device
>   - need permission to write to /dev/scd0
>   - avoid gui front ends that tie you to a mouse and spoil all fun :)
>   - not -dvd-compat is needed or not )

I've never used growisofs before, but it was entirely painless.

> For -RW with dvdrecord
>
> $ dvdrecord -dao dev=0,0,0 -v my-dvd.raw
>
>  The resulting dvd should play main.mpg followed by ending.mpg with no
> menus or other frills. It gets authored as two chapters corresponding to
> the two sources as a single title. The playback may not be seamless
> between the two sources, so it is recommended that you encode and mplex
> the source for each title as a single file.

I haven't encoded the long file yet.  I'm going to rebuild the coda,
interlaced, before I do that.  However, I'm pleased to report that the
resulting dvd plays perfectly on my stand-alone player.

> Make sure you have enough free disk space before you start -- the above
> procedure with raw image saved requires free space of a little over twice
> the size of all mpeg files being authored.

I'll bear that in mind, thanks.

Anne
- --
Registered Linux User No.293302