I'm using a tuned version of the 3 pass lav2avi.sh script which basically
does:

lav2wav ... &
lav2yuv ... | mencoder ...

lav2yuv ... | mencoder ...vpass=1...

lav2yuv ... | mencoder ...vpass=2...

I wanted to put a denoise step in there. The options seem to be,

1) stick a denoise on each lav2yuv step and do the denoise 3 times
2) stick a denoise on the last lav2yuv step and hope it doesn't screw the 2
video passes too much
3) make a separate (and enormous) yuv file
4) denoise and put the resultant yuv through yuv2lav to get back to a sensible
file I can put into mencoder 3 times.

(4) seems the most reasonable idea. Is that right, or did I miss something
more obvious?