>  But since it sounds like the goal is computer playback in small areas
>  (384x288 or so) this might be worth thinking about:
>
>   For lower ("VCD") resolution I think it's better capturing at the
>  1/2 size (384x288 for "PAL") to begin with.  This will be progressive
>  (since it's only 1 field) and then you don't have to deal with
>  deinterlacing at all.  That would be less data captured, less to
>  denoise, and no scaling - quite a speedup factor when all of those
>  steps are taken into account.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing now. I get there in the end... :o)
I've also discovered that denoising make no difference either to the quality
of the final video or to the size of the file. Since I'm capturing video
which originates from a digital TV receiver the quality is pretty good in the
first place.

The video is actually football (soccer to some) so it's constant fast motion.
Anything lower than VCD resolution means you can't really see the player
numbers or faces, so I was trying to get the best picture possible from low
bit rate. 500kbs is still coming out at 300MB per hour. I was trying to get
closer to 200MB per hour but trial and error is proving a rather slow
process!

While I'm asking, here's another quick question: can I do anything with the
sound to lower the file size? It's just crowd noise and commentary so I can
drop the quality right down if that's possible. I was just trying to work out
what lav2yuv actually does with the sound. My command:

 lav2yuv ... | mencoder -oac copy ...

appears to be giving me MP3 sound, which implies lav2yuv puts out an MP3 sound
track. Is that right, and can I tune it?