On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Derek Fountain wrote:

> OK, so can I basically assume that dvgrab is like a DV version of lavrec; that
> kino is like a DV version of lavplay/glav;

        Ah, that's a good way to view things.  I should have thought of that
        analogy.

> and that smilutils has something like lav2yuv?

        'smil2yuv' to be exact ;)

        Along with 'smil2wav' (to extract the audio), 'smil2raw' to export
        a DV stream from a .smil (edit list) file, and so on - quite a few
        nifty programs comprise the smilutils.

> And that the output of dvgrab/kino/smilutils can be fed into the MJPEG suite
> of utilities much like I do with the output from lavrec/glav/lav2yuv?

        Bingo!

        Yep - in simple form it's

         smil2yuv -a audiofile.wav input.dv | \
            y4mscaler -O ... | \
            yuvdenoise | ... \
            yuvmedianfilter ... | \
            ... \
            | mpeg2enc -f 8 ...

        (I'll spare you the informatin overload about how smilutils can use
        ffmpeg's DV decoder to get slightly better quality/speed, ... ;))

        Instead of a raw .dv file you could use a '.smil' file which is the
        counterpart to ".eli" - it's an edit list that specifies frame ranges.

        I've found, and maybe others will chime in, DV very easy to work with -
        you've got _1_ choice of frame size/quality/whatever, no worries
        about field order (DV is bottom field first.  Period),  and the DV
        converters seem to handle unsteady analog signals better than other
        devices (which tend cause A/V sync issues when the signal is unsteady),
        and so on.