On Friday 29 October 2004 12:31, Dik Takken wrote:
> This leads me to another question: Does lav2yuv do any postprocessing on
> the MJPEG data to reduce compression artifacts?

As far as I know: None whatsoever. lav2yuv's purpose in this world is to
convert lav files into yuv files, nothing more.

>This would make mpeg2enc's
> job a bit easier. I know MPlayer has a nice deblocking and deringing
> filter to do just that.

This is a task well suited for the various yuv* tools; yuvdenoise, yuvcorrect,
yuvscaler and so on. And, if they can't provide the desired functionality,
any other yuv-capable filter you or somebody else can dream of.

> > The YUV file is very simple and straightforward; with some scripting, you
> > could even create it with a tool like convert from ImageMagick.
>
> Hmm.. that's an interesting idea. Any advantages over having ImageMagick
> save the frame in png format and use png2yuv to do that?

You'll save a bit CPU and pipes, but have to generate the YUV file headers
yourself. In the case of png2yuv, you'd probably have to strip some headers
instead; I've never used png2yuv myself.

/Sam