On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Martin Samuelsson wrote:

> On Friday 29 October 2004 12:31, Dik Takken wrote:
> > This leads me to another question: Does lav2yuv do any postprocessing on
> > the MJPEG data to reduce compression artifacts?
>
> >This would make mpeg2enc's
> > job a bit easier. I know MPlayer has a nice deblocking and deringing
> > filter to do just that.

        Yes, MPLAYER - that's a "decoder".  The postprocessing is done, I
        believe, at decoding time not with 'mencoder' during the encoding
        process.

        If you use MPlayer to play back the movies you can use the
        deblocking/deringing filters but I've looked at the MENCODER portions
        of the manpage and don't see anything about deblock/dering at
        encoding time.   Lots of choices for motion search algorithms (hmmm,
        something that would be nice with mpeg2enc) and 'dark_mask'
        (hmmm, that sounds interesting), and so on but not post processing
        at encoding.

> This is a task well suited for the various yuv* tools; yuvdenoise, yuvcorrect,

        Hmmm, if it's "post encoding" processing you're talking about
        would it be better to do that in the encoder rather than the
        filtering the input stream prior to encoding?   There are lots of
        filters to manipulate the "YUV" stream prior to mpeg2enc but deblocking
        and deringing feel like things which need to be done after the DCT/iDCT
        of the encoder.

> You'll save a bit CPU and pipes, but have to generate the YUV file headers
> yourself. In the case of png2yuv, you'd probably have to strip some headers
> instead; I've never used png2yuv myself.

        Removing the headers is a trivial ~1 line shell function.  What I've
        long felt should be done in the lower level YUV4MPEG2 API is not
        error out if another (compatible) header is found.