On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Steven Boswell II wrote:

> transitions between very light areas and very dark
> areas.  So I say use -H!

        Or as I do, combine the hi-res tables and the tmpgenc tables - basically
        use the Intra portion of the 'hi' and the nonIntra of the tmpgenc.
        "The best of both worlds"  so to speak.

> "-4 1 -2 1" makes mpeg2enc spend as much time as
> possible detecting motion.  Most of the
> is a Good Thing, and so I use the highest setting
> possible for -4 and -2.

        The difference between "-4 2" and "-4 1" are very tiny so you might not
        notice the difference visually.  I have noticed a marked increase
        in cpu time though, but mpeg2enc rarely dominates the encoding time
        so the effect of using 1 instead of 2 isn't usually noticed.