Howdy -

        On Wednesday and Thursday I put together a new dual Opteron-250
        system and installed SuSE 9.2 (64bit).  Uneventful install but there
        were a few issues with rebuilding a few apps (all but one have been
        resolved - can't get Ogle to build so I'll use Xine instead).

        Today I've been putting the Opteron system thru its paces and I have
        to say the Opteron/AMD64 has impressed the hell out of me.

        The Opteron-250 with its 2.4GHz clock is about *2X* faster than the
        2GHz G5/PPC system I have!  What took 34 hours to run on the G5 (or the
        Athlon-MP/2800 that the Opteron replaced - the Athlon-MP and G5 were
        quite similar in speed) is only going to take about 16 hours on the
        Opteron-250.

        y4mdenoise is getting about 2.7 frames/sec on the Opteron and about
        1.3 frames/sec on the G5.  How much of that difference can be attributed
        to the 64bit operation on the Opteron I do not know (OS/X is still
        32bit userland until 10.4 comes out in a couple months).

        Pity the Opteron-252 (2.6GHz clock) wasn't quite on the shelves yet
        when I placed the order :)