On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Matti Haveri wrote:

> Sorry for the delayed quote and nit-picking but where does that
> "427000000" come from?

        I don't remember.  Likely it was a slip of the finger.  It could
        also have been I was including an extra reserve for other things
        such as transitions (they're relatively small at a few MB each but
        if a DVD needs 30 or 40 of them it adds up).

        Could also have been adding in a couple extra percent to account
        for the multiplexing overhead.  A couple percent doesn't sound like
        much but it is almost 100MB when talking about a DVD.

> BTW, is it OK to assume in these kind of calculations that 1 kb/s
> always equals 1000 b/s in the data _rates_? And 1 kb equals 1024 b
> otherwise?? Or do different encoders use different multipliers?

        DVD media is 4700000000 bytes which is 4.7 "marketing (k=1000) GB" but
        4.38 "computer (k=1024) GB"

        It's the classic "computer GB" vs "marketing GB".

        Bitrates (for both audio and video) are in units of 'k = 1000'.
        I've never heard of different encoders using different units so that
        shouldn't be a concern.