On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 23:19 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 23:17 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
> > Find a DVD where the PTS difference between video and audio is larger
> > than 200ms. Then go through the steps above.
> > The result will be a DVD with video and audio not in sync!
>
> Weird: tcprobe will report the same PTS difference on the original VOB
> and the one generated by mplex (provided that the difference was passed
> to mplex unchanged). However, the first one is in sync, while the second
> is not.

Ok, i think i've found evidence that the culprit is mplex.

I started to increase the -O parameter, since with the difference
indicated by tcprobe, the audio in the generated VOB was too early.
Well, no matter how much i increase -O, it does not get in sync. I used
ridiculous values ("-O 1000ms" while the original indicated difference
was 295ms) and the relative position of audio and video did not change:
when played with xine or mplayer, the generated VOB has the same time
shift between audio and video.
tcprobe will happily report 1000ms difference on the generated file, but
the players do not agree.

It seems like mplex can only handle differences up to a certain value
(around 200ms or so), after which it will not create a correct file. Yet
it seems to "lie" somehow, it's tricking tcprobe into thinking it
creates the correct PTS difference, but it cannot fool xine and mplayer.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/