On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Florin Andrei wrote:

> I'm using the latest stable mjpegtools release - 1.6.2

        There hasn't been a release since Feb 8 2004 - since then the advice
        has been to use 'cvs'

> Are there any pre-releases that i can test?

        Not that I know of.  Seems everytime mention is made of starting a
        release cycle (at least to the point of putting up a 'Release
        Candidate 1') development kicks in and (momentarily) puts things into
        a state of flux.  It's been stable (in the sense of being usable for
        production) but nothing pre-packaged or pre-built has been created.

> > When recoding DVDs I wonder if you're encountering rate changes in
> > the original - would a DVD switching between 30 and 24 fps...
>
> No, i'm using "well-behaved" material.

        You're sure? ;)  With well-behaved material I've not had a problem
        that I can remember.  I remember one DVD that was at 24fps _except_
        for the intro (opening credits) which was at 30.  Skipping over the
        initial part did the trick in that case.

        Is the DVD you're having trouble with from 'film' or from broadcast
        (24 or 30)?  I just have a nagging suspicion there's a pulldown problem
        lurking somewhere that's the underlying cause of the sync issues.

        Perhaps using 'MPlayer' to dump the streams would do the trick - I've
        had success it doing the pulldown and forcng the rate to 24 and using
        the '-vo yuv4mpeg' video output driver.

        Do the lengths of the audio and video files match timewise?  By that
        I mean you know the length and bitrate of the audio file and can
        calculate the length in seconds of the audio.  Then you know the frame
        rate and number of frames of the video and can calculate the length
        in seconds of the video.  If the two do not match then there is a
        problem.  I don't know how to deal with that though ;(