On Monday 28 March 2005 17:49, Gernot Ziegler wrote:
> Hej John !
>
> You're right, the usage of OpenGL for video post-processing
> has become quite interesting with the advent of floating point support
> and fragment shaders (programmable pixel processing) in the graphics
> hardware.

Nice to know that not all my ideas are mad (-;

> It would basically be possible to write YUV4MPEG components that utilize
> graphics hardware of Shader Model 2.0 or greater (mostly Nvidia hardware
> since ATI support is quite limited) by initializing the graphics card
> under GLUT or GLFW and then activating a float pbuffer for offscreen
> processing.

I've played with GLUT a little, but not GLFW. Can't the card be initialised
directly in OpenGL?

I do know that with OpenGL installed, if there is not an OpenGL card
available, it will fall back to software rendering. But would this be much
slower than the current routines? And if it is, is it possible to have a
run-time check for OpenGL hardware and select the faster of the two then?

This would be better as there can be one binary distribution that gets the
best performance on either an OpenGL or un-accelerated system.

> I would know how to do that, but currently I have no time to implement it
> myself.
> If someone is interested, I would gladly lead him/her to a working
> prototype.

I'd love to try such a thing, but I don't know if my programming skills are up
to such a challenge (-;

> :-) (Such a project would most certainly be a good entry in the CV for
>
> later employment in the video post-processing software business ....;) )

Maybe I need to fetch the latest CVS download and have a look?

I can't find my last sources, maybe I should try organising my file system (-;

Cheers,

        John Gay