> > It would basically be possible to write YUV4MPEG components that utilize
> > graphics hardware of Shader Model 2.0 or greater (mostly Nvidia hardware
> > since ATI support is quite limited) by initializing the graphics card
> > under GLUT or GLFW and then activating a float pbuffer for offscreen
> > processing.\

Unfortunately, AFAIK, floating pbuffers aren't yet supported in GLX,
only offscreen buffers, which is what linux OpenGL developers have been
using.

> I've played with GLUT a little, but not GLFW. Can't the card be initialised
> directly in OpenGL?

An OpenGL surface is created in GLX, so at the lowest lowel, you can
intialize OpenGL using GLX, which also means you need to be running X to
use OpenGL. A console only solution without X seems impossible at the
moment (at least if hardware accelerated OpenGL drivers are to be used).

> I do know that with OpenGL installed, if there is not an OpenGL card
> available, it will fall back to software rendering. But would this be much
> slower than the current routines? And if it is, is it possible to have a
> run-time check for OpenGL hardware and select the faster of the two then?

I'm not sure but I don't think OpenGL shaders are supported in the
software renderer. A good way to check for hardware acceleration would
be to check for the presence of the 'glShaderSource' and/or
'glCompileShader' functions (both are in OpenGL 1.5/2.0, part of GLSL).

NVidia drivers are hands down the best OpenGL drivers for linux. They
support GLSL and Cg. I've written some proprietery GLSL code for my
company*, nothin open source yet, but wouldn't mind chipping in.

Cheers,
Anoop.

* - New Mexico Software Inc., the application is called Taos Image
Finder ( http://www.taos3d.com/ ), an OpenGL 1.5/2.0 based image manager
for Windoze; works good only on an NVidia card.