> So, if I have 24000:1001 material and I want to encode for NTSC DVD, I
> need to specify -F 4 -p (not -F 1 -p). This way, the encoded file has a
> DVD-compliant frame rate (30000:1001) with the proper MPEG flag telling
> the decoder to do pulldown (to reconstruct the 24000:1001 video from the
> encoded 30000:1001) at play time.

When you use -F 4 -p, the mpeg file has its framerate set to 30 fps, but there
are only 24 frames encoded per second.  The encoder puts in repeat field flags
that tell the decoder to do the pulldown, which has the effect of converting 24
frames into 30 frames.  So it's more correct to say that the decoder contructs
30000:1001 video from a 24000:1001 source, as opposed to the other way around.