On 14/12/2005, at 4:21 PM, Trent Piepho wrote:

When you use -F 4 -p, the mpeg file has its framerate set to 30 fps, but there are only 24 frames encoded per second. The encoder puts in repeat field flags that tell the decoder to do the pulldown, which has the effect of converting 24 frames into 30 frames. So it's more correct to say that the decoder contructs 30000:1001 video from a 24000:1001 source, as opposed to the other way around.

I am guessing that these repeat field flags are not to difficult to add to a stream.

As this program can modify an existing m2v stream
http://www.inwards.com/inwards/?id=36

(source is available and will compile on OSs other than windows)

And I am also guessing that the repeat field flags are distinct enough for players, such as mplayer, to say, hey this is really a 23.976 progressive steram, I'll play it as such. I've seen mpeg files that swap between 29.97 and 23.976 with pulldown. Some of the video is in 23.976 progressive and some is 29.97 interlaced, mplayer can detect these changes and will change it's playback mid stream.

I guess my confusion is, that the resulting mpeg stream is a fully compliant 29.97 interlaced stream, and is played as such by players that don't know about pull down, but these repeat field flags can be added, detected and removed easily. I don't quite understand.

Mark