Michael Lehmeier wrote:

Then I record the audio input like this:
arecord -f dat audio.wav

The problem: audio.wav is then only raw audio. mp2enc doesn't handle raw
audio AFAIK.

On checking the man page for arecord, you can add "-t wav" to make arecord create a wav file. I don't know if it's then possible to pipe that into mp2enc - wav files headers contain the filesize - something not possible to include with live streams.

Another mp2 encoder is toolame - this seems to support reading raw data from stdin, but I haven't tested it.

Dave.