Hello mjpeg users,

Yes this is OT but I figured the people on this list would easily know the
answer and wanted your opinions on what I have found/been told.

Recently ripped and shrank a DVD and rebuilt it with mplex. Final size was
4.5GB. growisofs then complained it would not fit on the DVD+R as it had too
many "blocks".  In all of the how-to's whatever, it is stated that if the
file is kept under 4.7GB it will be OK. Is that true or not?

I posed this same question to my local LUG and was told that a file had to be
4.38GB or less to fit on the DVD. I am almost positive that in the past  I
have burned files larger than that on another manufacturer's disks.

Here is a short excerpt as a result of that inquiry.

"DVD manufacturers use decimal (base 10) rather than binary (base 2) so
a 4.7GB advertised DVD will hold 4.7 GB of data...however your program
probably states binary and not decimal so in reality it holds 4.38 GB -
GENERALLY SPEAKING.

All writeable DVD formats use 2048 bytes per sector, most state the
number of sectors available. However, the available sectors available to
"data" vary by manufacturer...DVD+R  should have 2, 295,072 sectors.
Which rounds to 4.7GB (in decimal notation) using spec version 1.2.

Another factor - defect management - but we'll leave that for another
day."
Soooo....Is the reality that I have to shoot for under 4.38GB or 4.7GB??

Bob S.