On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Bob Stia wrote:
> Have a new problem that has never happened before.  Ripped a dvd and converted
> it to a movie.m2v - then shrunk that to shrink.m2v. Ripped the audio to a
> movie.ac3.
>
> Went to recombine them with mplex for a movie.mpg. All seemed to work well
> except that the audio is WAY out of sync with the video. Not just a little.
> But by many many frames, so much that I can't even recognize the
> relationship.

Yeah, I've seen this. Sometimes quite obnoxiously; I've seen a few
movies where the audio stream doesn't even start for a second or so!

To deal with it, I use a little program I wrote called deltapts. It
searches a vob file for an audio stream and generates a -O command for
mplex that describes the audio delay in the original file.

It does have a weakness in that it assumes all audio streams have the
same delay; it returns the delay for the first audio stream it sees.
I've seen a couple of cases where that isn't true. For those, I strip
down to the audio stream I'm interested in using vobstripper, another
little program I wrote, then use deltapts on the result.

Both deltapts and vobstripper can be found at http://anachronda.webhop.org/

--
roger ivie