Op vr, 24-11-2006 te 00:26 -0800, schreef Steven M. Schultz:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Richard Rasker wrote:
>
> > question I have deals with one of the elusive Holy Grails of video
> > processing: how to render a given DV file into the highest possible
> > quality DVD.
>
>       In addition to being a holy grail it is also known as a 'wild goose
>       chase' ;)

OK, as I said, I'm not very experienced in this field yet, and I just
thought I'd ask - I hope to learn :)

>       Actually it's not all that hard once you wrap your brain around that
>       fact that a few extra kbits/sec for video is NOT going to make
>       any difference at all in visual quality.

Some very detailed and colourful material

> > mplex to merge both files, only to find that either the maximum bit rate
> > and/or quantization value for DVD has been exceeded. After which I
>
>       The bitrate is the only thing that is (or can be) exceeded.  There is
>       no such concept as "quantization value for DVD being exceeded".

Hmm, then how do you call it when quantization (-q) is chosen too low,
resulting in mplex reporting buffer underrun errors?

> > Sometimes it takes three attempts to reach the optimal values, and with...
> >
> > Example of the render pipe command:
> > yuvcorrect -v 0 -T INTERLACED_BOTTOM_FIRST | mpeg2enc -M 2 -v 0 -r 32 -4
> > 1 -2 1 -D 10 -g 15 -G 15 -q 5 -b 9600 -f 8 -o %
>
>       For one thing you could speed up the coding by deleting the "-r 32".
>       That is past the point of diminishing returns - i.e. you gain almost
>       nothing over the default "-r 16" but the encoding time is longer.
>
>       I'm curious why 'yuvcorrect' is being used.  DV is always bottom
>       field first - is something earlier in the pipeline mangling the
>       field order tag?

Well, as I'm not too experienced yet (did I mention that already? :-), I
started out by simply copying the pipe command from someone else who
claimed that this would yield the best results. And indeed I did find a
noticeable improvement when compared to the basic mpeg2enc -f 8 command.
However, I *did* look up the man pages to see what each of these
commands and options does.

>       -M is either useless (no speed gain) or worse (subtle threading
>       race can trigger an assert() error).

I'm working on an AMD64 dual-core machine, and -M 2 (actually the only
option I came up with myself) results in an overall speed gain of up to
40%.

>       And 9600 is too high for a bitrate value.  Try 8800 or even a little
>       lower.

[snip lots of excellent explanation]

OK, I'll go experiment with small video clips once more, playing around
with render pipe parameters; I'll also involve my spouse in some
blind(!) tests - she's always been rather critical when it comes to
picture quality, and doesn't mind seeing the same bit over and over
again. That way, I can't fool myself into believing that the larger file
is visibly better.

Thanks a lot for your time, I'm learning a lot!

Regards,

Richard Rasker