Jonathan Woithe schrieb:
> The very noticeable degradation comes about due to a bug in libdv which is
> used to do the encoding to DV from cinelerra.  When I last looked into this
> about 2 years ago ffmpeg's DV codec wasn't as badly affected but it still
> wasn't great.
hmm, great? Great would be something which allows for reencoding 10
times and is still hard to see...

The two DV-Codecs (ffmpeg, libdv) are currently really bad if compared
to commercial solutions (Canopus/Panasonic).

> AFAIK libdv is in deep maintenance mode now and I haven't
> seen any evidence that there's any work going on to find and fix the DV
> encoding bug.
As far as I have understood it, they think of it being "finished". So I
hardly expect there to be any further improvement with libdv...

> As for ffmpeg I haven't tested the DV encoding functionality
> of recent versions so I don't know what its status is.

Far better than libdv but still not good. (BTW: the mpeg2 encoder in
ffmpeg is fast, yes... but not good either...)

cu
Stefan

PS: if you want to have the best video-quality you can get out of
cinelerra then export your projekt to a y4m-stream and a wav-stream
seperately and encode this with mpeg2enc and mp2enc (or if ac3 needed
with ffmpeg...). And BTW: *do not* use Jpegs for titles or something.
Use PNGs. (if your hard-drive can hold that much data...)